Divergent is one of my favourite book series. When i buy a book series i don’t just buy the first one, read and then decide whether or not to buy the rest of the series. I’m the type of person the buys the WHOLE series all at once lol. And Divergent didn’t disappoint.
The Divergent trilogy (also known as The Divergent Series) is a series of three young adult dystopian/science-fiction books by Veronica Roth and published by Katherine Tegen Books. It is set in the future of a dystopian Chicago. The society is composed of five factions, where members of each faction dedicate themselves to the cultivation of a particular virtue. Divergent, Insurgent and Allegiant.
Five Factions, based on their personalities:
- The Abnegation faction was formed by people who blamed selfishness for human nature’s errors. They believe in selfless actions and attaining peace through the elimination of selfishness. By doing so, they choose to completely forget themselves and only serve others.
- Their symbol is two holding hands bound by a circle
- The substance for the Choosing Ceremony is Smooth Gray Stones
- The factions colours are grey and simple. The only adornment allowed is a watch. Female Abnegation typically wear their hair in a bun/knot. Men cut their hair short.
- Amity is the faction that dislikes war. Amity was formed in order to have a peaceful society free from conflict and sadness caused by wars and instigation. Amity doesn’t recognize a leader, but use Johanna Reyes as their representative or “mouthpiece”. They are a democratic faction, almost unanimously voting on everything. The bread that they eat even has a peace serum in it to prevent the faction members from fighting.
- Their symbol is a Tree bound by a circle
- Their substance in the Choosing Ceremony is soil, which is symbolic of them doing the farming for all the factions.
- Its faction colours are Black and white clothes. Black suits with white ties for men
- Candor was a faction formed by those who blamed duplicity and deception, who believed that dishonesty is the key fault in human nature which began evil and war. They believe in the principle that honesty and openness would lead to a more peaceful and perfect society.
- Their symbol is a set of unbalanced scales bound by a circle.
- Their substance in the Choosing Ceremony is glass.
- Its faction colors are black and white.
- The Erudite is the one and only faction dedicated to knowledge, intelligence, curiosity, and astuteness. It was formed by those who blamed ignorance for the war that had occurred in the past, causing them to split into factions in the first place.
- Their symbol is a an eye bound by a circle.
- Their substance in the Choosing Ceremony is Water.
- Its faction colors are Blue and most of them have to wear Glasses.
- Dauntless was a faction formed by those who blamed cowardice for society’s problems. The only answer is to face your fears is through bravery.They are dedicated to courage, bravery,toughness, and fearlessness. It tries to fight cowardice by giving the advantage of preparation and the ability to act when facing a fear to its members. The members generally wear provocative and (sometimes) clingy black clothing, are pierced, tattooed and have a tendency to seek thrill and action.
- Their symbol is flames bound by a circle
- Their substance for the Choosing Ceremony is Hot Coals
- The factions colours are all-black clothes, tattoos, piercings, (occasionally) unnatural hair colors.
- Factionless is a status in which a person is not welcome into any faction. This is described as being homeless and even worse than death itself because the factionless have to suffer. It is a common practice for Abnegation to give food to the factionless. It is not desired by any individual to ever be factionless. Some say they would rather die. The factionless are completely impoverished and live in the ruined section of Chicago.
- They don’t have a manifesto or a symbol, but some believe that the symbol should be an empty circle.
AUTHOR: Veronica Roth
Veronica Roth is an American author who is known for writing the Divergent trilogy. She was raised in Barrington, Illinois, a suburb of Chicago. She wrote her first book, Divergent while she was enrolled at Northwestern University. She also attended Carlton College a small liberal college, but later dropped out.
Her mother Barbara Ross is Polish and her father is German. She has two older siblings, a brother and a sister. Her parents divorced when she was 5 years old. Barbara Ross remarried to Frank Ross. Roth married photographer Nelson Fitch in 2011. They reside in the Chicago area.
She sold film rights to Summit Entertainment.
She then wrote the second book, Insurgent, which was released in 2012. The third and final book, Allegiant was released the following year. She now has released a new book in the Divergent Series named “Four”
The first book of the trilogy was released on April 25th, 2011.
Beatrice Prior, the main character lives in a world of dystopia where society is divided into five factions. Each faction dedicates themselves to the cultivation of a particular virtue— Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). During the Choosing Ceremony which happens once a year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. Beatrice joins Dauntless and leaves her family behind while at the same time learning about a dangerous trait she has, Divergence. Beatrice renames herself “Tris” as the highly competitive initiation ensues. In the end, she completes initiation and is accepted into the faction. The world is thrown into chaos however, right after initiation when Erudite takes control of Dauntless and wages a war on the rest of the factions resulting in near annihilation of Abnegation with the help of her so-called friend, also known as her soon to be boyfriend, Four, who you will eventually know as Tobias from the faction of Abnegation. His father was a council member just like Tris’s father.
The film adaption was released on 21 March 2014 starring Shailene Woodley as Tris and Theo James as Four
The second book of the trilogy was released on May 1st, 2012.
One choice can transform you-or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves–and herself–while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love. Tris’s initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable–and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.
The film adaption is scheduled to be released on 20 March 2015
The final book of the trilogy was released on October 22, 2013.
The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.
But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.
The film adaption for Allegiant will be spilt into Part 1 and Part 2, they will be released on 18 March 2016 and 24 March 2017
Did you enjoy the series? Are you looking forward to the release the the Insurgent film adaption?